David A. LeMaster
PO Box 15524
Seattle, WA 98115
For questions or to schedule a mediation, please contact Dave at (206) 334-3539 or by using our Contact Form.
SAVVY: You won’t have to spend a lot of time getting Dave up to speed – he’s a quick study who knows how to read a room and establish good rapport with the parties.
“Dave brought the same impressive traits that served him as a litigator to mediating. He quickly connected with my client, then dug in to try to bring the parties together.” . . . (Testimonials) – Dan Fjelstad, Plaintiff’s Employment and Disability Counsel
PERSISTENT: Motivated and flexible, Dave adapts his approach and mines for creative solutions when dealing with impasse. His persistence and optimism keep the parties moving and get cases settled.
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Center for Dispute Resolution at Willamette University College of Law, Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law, Professional Skills Program
- Rule 39.1 Certified Neutral, United States District Court, Western District of Washington
“He is always called upon for the most complex, high profile, high pay-out cases and we feel confident he will represent the program in an expert and competent manner. Dave is patient, kind and compassionate and a mediator who is held in very high esteem in the Seattle area.” … (Testimonials) – Chris Koser, Former SFEB Program Manager
“I first crossed paths with Dave when he appeared as defense counsel in a disability insurance case I was pursuing. From the outset, I recognized Dave’s professionalism. He demonstrated commitment to his client’s interests without cutting corners or taking insupportable positions. He quickly grasped the strengths and weaknesses in both parties’ cases, and fairly assessed the likely outcome. As a result, we were able to settle the case fairly, without a lot of wasted time or effort.
At my recommendation, defense counsel in a disability insurance case selected Dave as our mediator. Dave brought the same impressive traits that served him as a litigator to mediating. He quickly connected with my client, then dug in to try to bring the parties together.
I would gladly again use Dave as a mediator, and have recommended his services to others.”
Dan Fjelstad, Plaintiff’s Employment and Disability Counsel
“Dave skillfully handled a multiparty, complex mediation. He is likable, smart, hardworking, and professional.”
David Roth, Personal Injury Attorney
“Dave has been mediating for the Seattle Federal Executive Board (SFEB) since 2008. The SFEB Dispute Resolution Program provides services to 136 federal agencies and 25,000 employees in the Pacific NW. Disputes range from workstyle differences and personality disputes to cases involving alleged harassment, discrimination or unfair treatment.
I regularly engaged his mediation services and have found Dave to be unfailingly professional and reliable. He is always called upon for the most complex, high profile, high pay-out cases and we feel confident he will represent the program in an expert and competent manner.
Dave is patient, kind and compassionate and a mediator who is held in very high esteem in the Seattle area.”
Chris Koser, Former SFEB Program Manager
I have been helping parties settle cases for over 20 years by honing in on the root of each dispute and defusing the emotional components of the conflict. My mediation training began in 1993 – when I earned my Certificate in Dispute Resolution – and I have been sharpening and expanding my skills ever since. By nature optimistic and persistent, I draw on these traits and my nearly 25 years of litigation experience to motivate the parties to end their dispute.
Born and raised in the Seattle area and educated in Oregon, I am Pacific Northwest to the core. Away from work, you will find me hiking and biking local trails, traveling with my family, coaching youth sports teams, snapping photos, jotting down story ideas in my journal, and (on occasion) fine-tuning my amateur bartending skills. I live in Northeast Seattle with my wife and two teenage children.
Born: Snoqualmie, WA
College: Willamette University, B.A., magna cum laude (Economics/French)
Law School: Willamette University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
Certificate in Dispute Resolution
Claim to fame: A long time ago, I tried out for the Philadelphia Phillies
Training & Experience
I have successfully mediated cases involving life and disability insurance disputes (both ERISA and non-ERISA); personal injury, attorney malpractice, and employment discrimination claims; insurance coverage and bad faith actions; and business disputes.
- Certificate in Dispute Resolution, Willamette University College of Law
- 23rd Annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, University of Washington School of Law
- Preventing Bad Settlement Decisions and Impasse, Using Brain Science, Game Theory, Animated Communication, and Micro-Interventions, Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Crisis Negotiation: Apply the Skills Used by Law Enforcement in Your Conflict Resolution Practice, Federal Interagency ADR Working Group, Workplace Conflict Management Section
- Hostage Negotiations & Mediation Training, ADR Consortium of the Seattle Federal Executive Board
- Anti-Racism for Mediators Training, City of Seattle ADR Program
I serve on the Local Rule 39.1 Mediation Panel for the United States District Court for Western District of Washington and the ADR Consortium of the Seattle Federal Executive Board (January 2008 – September 2022).
The foundation of my effectiveness as a mediator is my extensive litigation experience successfully handling cases for both defendants and plaintiffs in a number of diverse practice areas, including:
- Life and disability insurance claims (ERISA and non-ERISA)
- Insurance coverage, bad faith and IFCA claims
- Personal injury and wrongful death
- Banking fraud involving internet-based debt elimination schemes
- Employment discrimination and wrongful termination
- Business disputes